Rose Parade 2004

Diary of Linda, Steve, Helen, and my trip to see the Rose Parade in Pasadena January 2004

12/30/03 Linda and I left with the Biros for the Rose Parade in Pasadena. The weather forecast was for rain, but the weather was perfect for walking and camping. We arrived at the Parsons Lot the Rose Bowl game and parade staging area, in Pasadena about 3:30 p.m. We all took a 3 mile round trip walk to Old Town Pasadena and located our parade bleacher seats on Colorado St. We were relatively happy with the seats. The view to the left was blocked by bleachers, but ahead and to the left was perfect. We cased out several restaurants and settled on a Italian one. Steve and I had shrimp lobster linguini. Helen had grilled salmon and Linda had vegetable pasta dish. Steve and I had bread pudding which really stuffed me to capacity. Went to bed around 9:00 p.m. in the 5th wheel.

12/31/03 Had breakfast in the 5th wheel. About 9:00 a.m. we walked to a float decorating area on Seco St. near the Rose Bowl Stadium. Had a great time watching the decoration of the floats. It takes lots of money, flowers, design, and volunteers to build one of these monster sized floats. The float area had a carnival atmosphere with lots of concessionaires, food stands, and fun events such as a professional dog Frisbee show. Walked back to 5th wheel through an old Pasadena neighborhood scenic mansions. Had salad and Helens vegetable lasagna for New Years dinner eve. Visited downtown Pasadena again to see all the people camping out on the parade route. They brought barbecues, sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc. right out on the edge of the side walks. Many stores boarded up their windows. I guess we are getting old as we were all in bed by 10:00 p.m. on New Years Eve. Our main excuse for this early to bed of course was, that we had to get up at 6:00 a.m. to attend the Rose Parade.

1/1/04 The Biros got Linda and me up at 6:15 a.m. We had cereal and coffee in the 5th wheel. At 7:00 a.m. we headed out on foot about a ¾ mile walk to our Rose Parade seats. The seats were right under the CBS cameras, giving us a great view of the parade. We were all happy with are seats except Helen, who thought they should have been lower. My only complaint was that the view to the left was blocked by bleachers. The view straight ahead and to the right was fantastic. The people around us were all very nice and friendly. The floats were so beautiful and much prettier in real life as opposed to TV. The horses and bands were really enjoyable to watch and hear. Steve and I took lots of digital pictures. I lasted about 3/4 ‘s of the parade before I had to go to the bathroom. The line was so long, that I finally walked off and found some shrubbery. I then walked back to the parade route and watched the last 20 minutes at street level for a different perspective. The high bleachers were definitely better. After the parade, we walked back to the 5th wheel and had a salad and vegetable lasagna for lunch. In about 1.5 hours the parking lot RV & Bus section was clear enough for an easy exit onto the 210 freeway. It took us about 3.5 hours to get home in the heavy traffic. We stopped near Oceanside at a rest stop to dump our tanks.Every body in our group enjoyed the little adventure and even Linda who was originally against the trip was happy that she had participated. We picked up Meghan at our neighbors house. Apparently our neighbors English Pointer Olivia and Meghan had a great time playing together, without any major skirmishes.

Photo's by Roger Zellmer of Reno 2004

Steve, Helen, and Linda walking through a residential area to the float decorating near the Rose Bowl..
This is the Parson's Parking lot were we parked the 5th wheel for two nights at $125 per night. It was only 2 blocks to the parade route on Colorado Street .
Linda, Helen, and Steve relaxing in the great California winter weather.
Colorado St. on New Years Eve at 5:30 p.m. most of the people have their free spots for the parade staked out. Notice the air mattress and sleeping bag. I may save money and try this next year.
We were all interviewed by this local CBS news reporter and actually were told that we were on TV twice on New Years Eve.

Last updated on February 6, 2019